PYDISTUTILS_AUTOPLIST, stage, man pages

Marcus von Appen mva at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 17 22:08:39 UTC 2013

On, Thu Oct 17, 2013, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> on 17/10/2013 21:19 Marcus von Appen said the following:
> > On, Thu Oct 17, 2013, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> >

> >> If it's not obvious from the subject, I would like to ask if it is
> >> possible to make PYDISTUTILS_AUTOPLIST cooperate with staging with
> >> respect to the manual pages.
> >>
> >> As you know, the staging code would automatically compress any
> >> uncompressed manual pages while their installation to the stage directory
> >> is recoded verbatim.  So perhaps there could be an extra step of
> >> appending ".gz" to manual page entries that don;t have it.
> >
> > I am missing an example (port or whatever) here. distutils does not
> > specifiy manpages on its own, so they are most likely installed by the
> > data_files target. Usually, the proper handling would need to be done there
> > or within an own bsd.python.mk hook (ewww). So much for the theory. Can you
> > please provide an example port that currently has issues with its manpages
> > and staging?
>
> I am not sure if there is such a port currently in the tree, I haven't looked
> for one.  We are working on a port of obnam and that's where this would be
> useful.  It indeed installs a few manual pages via data_files:
>
> data_files=[('share/man/man1', glob.glob('*.1'))]

Except for the fact that 'share/' is wrong for FreeBSD (which you know,
I guess ;-), I see what you mean. A fix for that might be to check the
directory for something matching on

          man/man[0-9]/*.[0-9]

and append it automatically with a .gz in the ${_PYTHONPKGLIST} record
file within the add-plist-pymod target in bsd.python.mk

Can you upload the port shar somewhere for a test?

Cheers
Marcus