Resignation, X being a <insert expletive>, and assorted questions.

Horst Günther Burkhardt III horst at sxemacs.org
Wed Oct 22 09:37:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 11:10 +0200, Marco Trillo wrote:
> Hi,
> > -------
> >  Audio
> > -------
> > I'm not sure of the soundcard this mac uses, but I believe it's  Apple
> > Crystal (a look at the motherboard and there's a small chip that says
> > CRYSTAL that looks like the sound chip on the iMac) so... I think
> > FreeBSD supports it. Is there a good way to test sound with the base
> > system (i.e. without installing mpg123?)
> >

> The Crystal chip is indeed the sound codec -- it can be either the
> "Burgundy" (CS4211) chip, used on original iMacs, or the "Screamer"
> (CS4212) chip, used on iMac DVs and late iMac G3s. What model of iMac
> is this?

CS4212-KL so it's a Screamer. This isn't an iMac though - i'm just
saying it's the same sort of physical chip as the iMac's sound chip.

This is a Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet / ADC (also known as a
PowerMac3,3 in gestaltid nomenclature)

> I have a driver and patch that supports both of these devices --
> currently audio output only. It should apply at least to 8.0-current
> and to 7.x -- let me know if you are interested on testing it .

I'm interested in testing it, and a good thing too as I'm going to
compile a new kernel soon - so I can remove some of the unneeded stuff
like fwe :)