Resignation, X being a <insert expletive>, and assorted questions.

Marco Trillo marcotrillo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 10:17:50 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Horst Günther Burkhardt III
<horst at sxemacs.org> wrote: >

>> The Crystal chip is indeed the sound codec -- it can be either the
>> "Burgundy" (CS4211) chip, used on original iMacs, or the "Screamer"
>> (CS4212) chip, used on iMac DVs and late iMac G3s. What model of iMac
>> is this?
>
> CS4212-KL so it's a Screamer. This isn't an iMac though - i'm just
> saying it's the same sort of physical chip as the iMac's sound chip.
>
> This is a Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet / ADC (also known as a
> PowerMac3,3 in gestaltid nomenclature)

Nice, I also have a PowerMac G4 with a Screamer chip which I used to
develop the driver, so it should work fine there.

>> I have a driver and patch that supports both of these devices --
>> currently audio output only. It should apply at least to 8.0-current
>> and to 7.x -- let me know if you are interested on testing it .
>
> I'm interested in testing it, and a good thing too as I'm going to
> compile a new kernel soon - so I can remove some of the unneeded stuff
> like fwe :)

Ok :) The driver is available at:
<http://www.telefonica.net/web2/marco2z/fbsd/aoa1.tgz>

The tar.gz file includes the "sound/macio" subdirectory to include in
the kernel,  something like this:
$ cp -R sound/macio /usr/src/sys/dev/sound/macio

The "powermac/" and "patches/" subdirectories can be ignored, as they
are not needed for Screamer devices.

To register the new driver you can just append the following lines to
the /usr/src/sys/conf/files.powerpc file :

dev/sound/macio/aoa.c          optional        powermac davbus
dev/sound/macio/davbus.c       optional        powermac davbus

(Alternatively you can apply "patches/files.patch" in
/usr/src/sys/conf, but it's possible that it does not apply cleanly to
7.x or recent -current.)

To enable the driver you can add the following lines to GENERIC or
your kernel config file:
device sound
device davbus

(Or alternatively apply "patches/generic.patch" in
/usr/src/sys/powerpc/conf, but as before it may not apply cleanly to
7.x or recent -current.)

When booting the new kernel you should get a "pcm0" device, so you can
just use any digital player to play sound files, and the "mixer"
utility to configure the volume.

If you plug something to the rear panel output jack, the internal
speaker will be muted automatically.

Thanks!

Marco