Resignation, X being a <insert expletive>, and assorted questions.

Marco Trillo marcotrillo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 09:10:56 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Horst Günther Burkhardt III
<horst at sxemacs.org> wrote:
> ------------
>  Networking
> ------------
> It seems FreeBSD does not always try to do DHCP configuration at boot of
> the onboard gem0 - This is slightly annoying as it always boots up
> thinking it's 1976. I'm sure you can understand why this is of concern.
>
> I've tried editing some of the bootscripts for this to no avail - any
> ideas?

Do you have a line such as
ifconfig_gem0="DHCP"
added to your /etc/rc.conf file ?

> -------
>  Audio
> -------
> I'm not sure of the soundcard this mac uses, but I believe it's  Apple
> Crystal (a look at the motherboard and there's a small chip that says
> CRYSTAL that looks like the sound chip on the iMac) so... I think
> FreeBSD supports it. Is there a good way to test sound with the base
> system (i.e. without installing mpg123?)

The Crystal chip is indeed the sound codec -- it can be either the
"Burgundy" (CS4211) chip, used on original iMacs, or the "Screamer"
(CS4212) chip, used on iMac DVs and late iMac G3s. What model of iMac
is this?

I have a driver and patch that supports both of these devices --
currently audio output only. It should apply at least to 8.0-current
and to 7.x -- let me know if you are interested on testing it .

Thanks,
Marco