Resignation, X being a <insert expletive>, and assorted questions.

Horst Günther Burkhardt III horst at sxemacs.org
Wed Oct 22 06:37:49 UTC 2008

Note: the following is divided into sections:

Hi all.

-----
 X11
-----
I've decided I'm probably going to have to set up an X-less system, at
any rate X is failing pretty hard here. I no longer have a traceable
error set, just a black screen.

Just in case I _have_ somehow cocked up, I need to ask an obvious
question. Does X still compile with twm by default, or do I need to
compile a window manager to do anything?

Xorg.0.log nopasted to http://rafb.net/p/tCJhpm51.html
xorg.conf has been proven not to be wrong.

( Yes I realise it looks normal. But surely X doesn't take five minutes
to start? It didn't on my Pentium II :( )

------------
 Networking
------------
It seems FreeBSD does not always try to do DHCP configuration at boot of
the onboard gem0 - This is slightly annoying as it always boots up
thinking it's 1976. I'm sure you can understand why this is of concern.

I've tried editing some of the bootscripts for this to no avail - any
ideas?

-------
 Audio
-------
I'm not sure of the soundcard this mac uses, but I believe it's  Apple
Crystal (a look at the motherboard and there's a small chip that says
CRYSTAL that looks like the sound chip on the iMac) so... I think
FreeBSD supports it. Is there a good way to test sound with the base
system (i.e. without installing mpg123?)

Thanks in advance for any answers, and I apologise if i'm getting
slightly annoying.