The only box that can't mount its own install media.

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 9 15:01:14 UTC 2008

Horst Günther Burkhardt III wrote:
> I realise that this email may sound like a bad joke. Believe me it is
> not.
>
> I would like to know i can boot into BSD without needing a CD to boot
> from, before I start building my world.
>
> To this end I attempted to set up the bootloader as instructed earlier
> (boot.tbxi) by simply copying it to the root of the HFS partition. It
> would appear however that my computer will have none of that.

You need both boot.tbxi and loader on the HFS partition.

> So, next thing to try is copying /boot/loader from the CD to /loader on
> the HFS partition, as i was also instructed by another ML user.
>
> ... The FreeBSD cd won't mount. It just says :
>
> invalid argument
>
> when I try to specify a mountpoint, as such:
>
> # mount /dev/acd0 /mnt/cdrom

This is because the file system is wrong (hence invalid argument). mount
defaults to UFS, and the CD is not a UFS file system. You want mount -t
cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom. I'd suggest reading the handbook or the mount
manpage for this kind of thing, since it is not PowerPC-specific.

> if the command
>
> # mount /dev/acd0
>
> is used, the box simply does nothing, but on the otehr hand doesn't
> report an error. quaint, no?

If the device is listed in /etc/fstab, you want to use the mountpoint
instead of the device name. E.g. mount /cdrom.

> Also, to whoever shouted out earlier about improved UDMA support in the
> kernel, can I have links to the relevant downloads? I'm going to rebuild
> this thing anyhow so I may as well use the niceties :)

It is in -CURRENT right now, waiting on some residual bugs to be merged
into 7-STABLE.
-Nathan