The only box that can't mount its own install media.

Horst Günther Burkhardt III horst at sxemacs.org
Thu Oct 9 14:21:27 UTC 2008

I realise that this email may sound like a bad joke. Believe me it is
not.

I would like to know i can boot into BSD without needing a CD to boot
from, before I start building my world.

To this end I attempted to set up the bootloader as instructed earlier
(boot.tbxi) by simply copying it to the root of the HFS partition. It
would appear however that my computer will have none of that.

So, next thing to try is copying /boot/loader from the CD to /loader on
the HFS partition, as i was also instructed by another ML user.

... The FreeBSD cd won't mount. It just says :

invalid argument

when I try to specify a mountpoint, as such:

# mount /dev/acd0 /mnt/cdrom

Please forgive me if I'm Doing It Wrong.

if the command

# mount /dev/acd0

is used, the box simply does nothing, but on the otehr hand doesn't
report an error. quaint, no?

Also, to whoever shouted out earlier about improved UDMA support in the
kernel, can I have links to the relevant downloads? I'm going to rebuild
this thing anyhow so I may as well use the niceties :)

Cheers.

 -- Horst.