Apple Screamer Audio: looking for testers

Andreas Tobler andreast-list at fgznet.ch
Tue Oct 7 18:50:48 UTC 2008

Hi,

Marco Trillo wrote:

>> Unfortunately, no. Silence. But this might be due to the fact that I do
>> something wrong.
>> I do not have the aifftools, so I simply tried the cdcontrol and there
>> nothing happens, silence.
>
> The 'cdcontrol' utility uses the CD drive itself to play the CD, it
> does not use the system digital audio device -- in fact it does not
> need sound support at all.
>
> To use the system audio device you can use a digital player -- many
> are available from the ports collection, for example "mpg321" for MP3
> files. To play CDs you can rip the tracks from the CD with a tool such
> as "cdda2wav",  "cdparanoia" or others, and then play the digital
> files with an audio player .
> The "aiffopen" utility is an example of such a player which reads AIFF
> files only.

Thanks for telling me. I'm not used to play with sound on my machines :)

Ok, still building mpg321, was missing qt stuff etc.

But nevertheless, I tried to play a bit around and I feel I have some
basic issues which do not work.
You say cdcontrol does not need sound support at all, do I expect
correctly that I should get some sound out of my box then?
Well, I do not get anything out of it right now. I followed the
handbook's advices and cat'ed a file to /dev/dsp, nothing.

Sorry, may I have missed a basic issue then?
Do I need to setup something additional?

As said, newbie here, only wanted to test.

TIA,
Andreas