bootloader installation

Horst Günther Burkhardt III horst at sxemacs.org
Tue Oct 7 18:02:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 19:45 +0200, Marco Trillo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Horst Günther Burkhardt III
> <horst at sxemacs.org> wrote:
> > All goes well and then the line :
> >
> > can't load ´kernel´
>
> That's because the "loading ELF" message is from the OF trying to load
> the loader, not from the loader trying to load the kernel.
>
> Can you try booting with the "ultra0" and "ultra1" aliases which I
> mentioned in my previous mail, to select one or the other hard disk?
> Do a "reset-all" if a boot attempt failed to avoid the "CLAIM failed"
> messages.
>
> Thanks,
> Marco.

Done and done. Still the same issue. I'm chatting on IRC with Nathan
Whitehall about it, and we found a fix.

In the bootloader, it is necessary to set currdev=ultra0:10 (in OF
parlance this is ultra0:11 which leaves us up a certain creek without a
certain implement) ... and then boot.

I'm now in my comfy little root ttyv0 ready to get things rolling.
Anything more I should be aware of? :)

Thanks again for all your help. All of you.