BMAC Ethernet Driver

Stanislav Sedov stas at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 24 23:59:14 UTC 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:23:47 -0500
Nathan Whitehorn <nathanw at uchicago.edu> mentioned:

> Here is a first draft of a driver for the BMAC(+) built-in ethernet
> found at least on G3 macs. It is based on some earlier work by Peter
> Grehan, and some parts of it have been lifted from the FreeBSD gem driver.
>
> It works well on my 400 MHz blue & white G3, which has a BMAC+
> controller. I'd appreciate testing on earlier machines, which have
> buggier controllers (early G3 iMacs especially).
>
> Source: http://home.physics.wisc.edu/~nwhitehorn/bm.tgz
>
> The source is set up to build a kernel module. I haven't tried any
> integration with the build system yet.

It panics on my blue and white iMac with message:
en irq out of range

It's pretty strange, since the irq displayed is 42, which is
smaller than the limit.

I'll try to investigate further tomorrow.

Thanks for the work!

BTW, I think it makes sense to move dbdma code out of driver
and make it a generic subsystem, since it can be used by other
drivers as well.

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE