vscode vs vscodium (a lot of vs).

Jacques Foucry jacques+freebsd at foucry.net
Sun Feb 7 09:26:00 UTC 2021

Hello Ports,

I look at editors/vscode and I it surprising me that the base is the Microsoft
version:

SHA256 (vscode/microsoft-vscode-1.52.1_GH0.tar.gz) = 4a2b4e3500bff73503322fc3a68099ec4151d3e800cf2bb6e9478f2e94637b6a
SIZE (vscode/microsoft-vscode-1.52.1_GH0.tar.gz) = 11792551

On the vscodium website we can read:

"Microsoft’s vscode source code is open source (MIT-licensed), but the product available for download (Visual Studio Code) is licensed under this not-FLOSS license and contains telemetry/tracking. According to this comment from a Visual Studio Code maintainer:

    When we [Microsoft] build Visual Studio Code, we do exactly this. We clone the vscode repository, we lay down a customized product.json that has Microsoft specific functionality (telemetry, gallery, logo, etc.), and then produce a build that we release under our license.

    When you clone and build from the vscode repo, none of these endpoints are configured in the default product.json. Therefore, you generate a “clean” build, without the Microsoft customizations, which is by default licensed under the MIT license"

So I would like to know whiich code base is used to build editors/vscode.

I'm really happy with my vim IDE configuration bur everybody talk about vscode
and I would like to try it without being tracked by Microsoft.

Thanks for your time and your answer.
--
Jacques Foucry