Question on figuring out category for new port

Kubilay Kocak koobs at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 8 05:01:42 UTC 2021

On 8/02/2021 2:28 pm, Adam Jimerson wrote:
> On Sunday, February 7, 2021 9:05:31 PM EST Kubilay Kocak wrote:
>> www/py-adblock [1] as its primary use will be in and for browsers (in
>> this case qutebrowser (also in www)
>
> Thanks for your input, that was my main thinking as well as to why it might go
> under the www category.

You're welcome

>> One may consider adding 'net' as a secondary if it can be used outside
>> the browser (www) context (say like a pihole thingy)
>
> Interesting thought, I don't see why other programs/projects wouldn't be able
> to also use this port as it basically adds python bindings around the already
> existing rust API exposed by the project.

I suppose the question then is, are there any non browser consumers for
this software that already exist?

I'd just stick it in www until such time as one or more appears, adding
'net' to CATEGORIES (secondary/virtual) when they do.

>> [1] noting the "canonical" and registered PyPI name from this project is
>> 'adblock' not 'python-adblock' (the repo name)
>
> Yeah I already figured that the port should have the "py-" prefix in the name to
> follow the FreeBSD naming convention for python ports, even though the name is
> not consistent between the repo and PyPI. Thus the port would be "py-adblock"
> in the ports tree as well as follow the naming convention for the python
> flavors "py36-", "py37-" when packaged.

Yep, use PKGNAMEPREFIX=${PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX}, and setting
USES=python:<version-spec> to the supported python versions range