Specific svn/git package update use case

Dewayne Geraghty dewayne at heuristicsystems.com.au
Fri Apr 9 03:10:46 UTC 2021

On 4/04/2021 12:30 pm, Simon Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been following the discussion about the git upgrade to the ports
> repro but am not clear about how it impacts my use case.
>
> At the moment I track ports on the revision that the Freebsd build
> cluster uses to build the "latest" package set. I take the currently
> reported latest build revision number from Poudriere on the appropriate
> package build box, update my ports tree to that revision using svn on a
> Debian box then use the resulting port tree to build my few ports and
> dependencies locally with somewhat different build options from default
> then export the resulting package set to my local machines. This process
> has been working satisfactorily for several years now. My systems are
> always running the same package set as "latest".
>
> My question is: is the poudriere build process going to change and will
> the build cluster still report the latest build in a form that I can
> feed to git on Debian to update my ports tree to the same level as the
> Freebsd package server?
>
> As of today I am still seeing the Latest build version on
> http://beefy6.nyi.freebsd.org/jail.html?mastername=122amd64-default/
> reported as svn revision 569609 and updating my ports using svn works.

Unfortunately svn is frozen at
Revision: 569609
which I'm sure will disenfranchise some.

I'd suggest that you search this mail-list for
"Re: I run poudriere - what do I need to do once ports switch over to git?"
Though it is not something we use.

This may help https://wiki.freebsd.org/git
specifically https://github.com/lwhsu/freebsd-git-docs/blob/main/URLs.md

The reason(s) for moving to git are described here
https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs/

I've also found Ed Maste's email "Proposed ports git transition
schedule" helpful.