Specific svn/git package update use case

Lucas Nali de Magalhães rollingbits at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 19:54:23 UTC 2021

> On Apr 8, 2021, at 11:48 PM, Simon Wright <simon.wright at gmx.net> wrote:
> (…)
> My reading seems to say that this is *only* this one commit which is not my
> need. Can anyone confirm this please?

Unlike subversion that has a central repository, git is a distributed VCS which
means that first one has to close, that is obtain a copy of the entire repository.
Then one just checkout the version one wants from this copy of repository.
This comes with the possibility of keep track of local modifications inside the
local copy of the repository.

> (…)
> I don't want to create a new branch but "fix" or merge the checkout into
> my local branch? Or can I just leave it as is?

I think the message only warns about the actual repository state and gives
instructions of how to archive the possible outcomes. That is, modify, create
a new branch, commit the changes to it.

--
rollingbits — 📧 rollingbits at icloud.com 📧 rollingbits at gmail.com 📧 rollingbits at yahoo.com 📧 rollingbits at terra.com.br 📧 rollingbits at globo.com