feature request for portmaster: check for permissions on --check-depends and friends

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 26 21:44:45 UTC 2010

On 04/26/10 14:13, Alberto Villa wrote:
> On Monday 26 April 2010 21:50:39 Doug Barton wrote:
>>> ...the "-n" flag would be more appropriate.
>>
>> It only applies to builds/upgrades.
>
> and my suggestion would have been: "extend it to other parts of the program"

The features other than building already include confirmation steps, so
there is actually no harm in running them as root to start with.

> but this was just in theory, personally i would do nothing

Thanks, that's the answer I was hoping for. :)

>>> what if i, as a regular
>>> user, have write access to /var/db/(ports|pkg)?
>>
>> That would be silly. :)
>
> definitely, but ain't we all a bit silly? ;)

My point is that it is actually possible to over-engineer things in an
effort to try to prevent every possible mistake. While I definitely try
to be cautious with my programming (some say too cautious) if you make
something idiot-PROOF the universe will simply make better idiots.

I don't want to sound flippant, but the code in portmaster is already
WAY too complex. I am resistant to adding more complexity without a
clear need.

Doug

			-- Propellerheads