Time to abandon recursive pulling of dependencies?

Fri May 18 05:47:47 UTC 2007

Quoting Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen at math.missouri.edu> (from
Thu, 17 May 2007 15:58:38 -0500):

> Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>>> Quoting Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen at math.missouri.edu> (Wed,
>>>  16 May 2007 16:01:56 -0500):

>>> Did you my chance also had a look how to speed up ALL-DEPENDS-LIST? It
>>> is used in clean-depends. And on my system it is slow (nearly 6 minutes
>>> for gnome2) too. As portupgrade cleans before and after updating a
>>> port, optimizing this may also be beneficial.
>>>
>>> Maybe first trying to construct all dependencies of the installed ports
>>> like in actual-package-depends and then the remaining ones like it is
>>> done currently...
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Alexander.
>>>

>> I don't use "make clean" preferring a variant of "find /usr/ports
>> -name work -exec rm -rf {} \;".
>
> I just looked at it.  I really don't think it is worth the big effort
> that we put into registering ports, because a make clean only happens
> once or twice, unlike registering of the port which happens for every
> single dependency.

"make install clean" is recommended to install a port. So it
contributes to the time the user sees.

> I think it would be better to modify portupgrade to use find to delete
> all the work in all the ports.

It is not allowed to delete all ports. What if I do a make in a
orthogonal port? It has to d o a make all-depends-list and clean the
ports in there, but that's what make clean does.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
It is when I struggle to be brief that I become obscure.
		-- Quintus Horatius Flaccus (Horace)