Time to abandon recursive pulling of dependencies?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Thu May 17 20:58:40 UTC 2007

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Quoting Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen at math.missouri.edu> (Wed, 16
>> May 2007 16:01:56 -0500):
>>

>>> If I get some positive feedback on this one, I'll submit a PR.  You
>>> can try it out by typing "make actual-package-depends" as opposed to
>>> "make package-depends."
>>>

>> Did you my chance also had a look how to speed up ALL-DEPENDS-LIST? It
>> is used in clean-depends. And on my system it is slow (nearly 6 minutes
>> for gnome2) too. As portupgrade cleans before and after updating a
>> port, optimizing this may also be beneficial.
>>
>> Maybe first trying to construct all dependencies of the installed ports
>> like in actual-package-depends and then the remaining ones like it is
>> done currently...
>>
>> Bye,
>> Alexander.
>>

> I don't use "make clean" preferring a variant of "find /usr/ports -name
> work -exec rm -rf {} \;".

I just looked at it.  I really don't think it is worth the big effort
that we put into registering ports, because a make clean only happens
once or twice, unlike registering of the port which happens for every
single dependency.

I think it would be better to modify portupgrade to use find to delete
all the work in all the ports.