Time to abandon recursive pulling of dependencies?

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Sun May 20 11:46:26 UTC 2007

Am 17.05.2007 um 22:58 schrieb Stephen Montgomery-Smith:

> Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>>> As portupgrade cleans before and after updating a
>>> port, optimizing this may also be beneficial.
>>>
>>> Maybe first trying to construct all dependencies of the installed
>>> ports
>>> like in actual-package-depends and then the remaining ones like
>>> it is
>>> done currently...
>> I don't use "make clean" preferring a variant of "find /usr/ports -
>> name work -exec rm -rf {} \;".
>
> I just looked at it.  I really don't think it is worth the big
> effort that we put into registering ports, because a make clean
> only happens once or twice, unlike registering of the port which
> happens for every single dependency.
>
> I think it would be better to modify portupgrade to use find to
> delete all the work in all the ports.

The work dir is not necessarily where you assume it is. If you mount /
usr/ports r/o (i.e. in a jail, or shared via NFS), you probably do
something like this in make.conf:

WRKDIRPREFIX?=  /var/ports/work
WRKDIR?=        ${WRKDIRPREFIX}${.CURDIR:S/${PORTSDIR}//}

Running find on /usr/ports is not of much use then...

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 170 346 0140