[pf4freebsd] Re: IPv6-free pf

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Wed Sep 15 20:50:11 PDT 2004

> I wonder if anyone had tried to build an IPv4-only pf module. It just
fails
> to load into an IPv6-free kernel (and, yes, it's easy to achieve with
> OpenBSD).
> As far as I've looked through the code, the INET6 option looks
kernel-style.

> My question is: Is there a fairly easy way to compile pf without IPv6
(i.e.
> without INET6 defined) or I just have to wait until pf is integrated in
the
> FreeBSD-source
> and this option is handled by the kernel's config? I just want to be able
> install the port without extensive hacking. :)

As of now (version 1.64) you will have to modify Makefiles in pf, pflog and
pfsync:
Look for:
opt_inet6.h:
    echo "#define INET6 1" > opt_inet6.h
And change it to:
opt_inet6.h
    echo "" > opt_inet6.h

Userland tools might have issues as well, but none of them should be
critical. I'll look into that to respect make.conf settings in future
releases.

Thanks for bringing that up,
    Max