boost-libs and CXXFLAGS (Re: devel/boost-bjam)

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Fri May 10 23:08:04 UTC 2013

On 10.05.2013 18:59, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> for fPIC I know that in a place, I don't remember which part it wasn't set
> correctly so imho it needs to stay.
Well, both boost-libs and boost-python-libs built fine (9.1/amd64, g++48) here
without the fPIC. LibreOffice still building...

I think, it was added some time ago, when boost had a bug and omitted the -fPIC,
where it was needed. That was in 2005:

    http://lists.boost.org/boost-build/2005/06/10034.php

Since then the bug was fixed and the flag is no longer necessary.
> (I add problems during the exp-run)

Uhm, does this mean, you'll consider it once the exp-run confirms, it is safe?
It can certainly wait until then...

> For the rest approved, but please add a comment saying that boost prefers -O3.
>
> If you want to join the office team so that you don't need any approval for
> those fixes, well you are welcome in:)  just add yourself to the wiki page.
Thank you, I'll think about it.

    -mi