boost-libs and CXXFLAGS (Re: devel/boost-bjam)

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 10 23:23:56 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 07:08:02PM -0400, Mikhail T. wrote:
> On 10.05.2013 18:59, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> > for fPIC I know that in a place, I don't remember which part it wasn't set
> > correctly so imho it needs to stay.
> Well, both boost-libs and boost-python-libs built fine (9.1/amd64, g++48) here
> without the fPIC. LibreOffice still building...
>
> I think, it was added some time ago, when boost had a bug and omitted the -fPIC,
> where it was needed. That was in 2005:
>
>     http://lists.boost.org/boost-build/2005/06/10034.php
>
> Since then the bug was fixed and the flag is no longer necessary.
> > (I add problems during the exp-run)
>
> Uhm, does this mean, you'll consider it once the exp-run confirms, it is safe?
> It can certainly wait until then...

I mean you can commit the rest but just leave fPIC for now, removal of fPIC will
need a exp-run anyway don't know when I ll get time for it, pgf@ is also waiting
for another fix that needs an exp-run.

so just go ahead with your change as long as -fPIC remains, I ll take care layer
of it.

regards,
Bapt