What about controllerless "hardware" modems?

clayton rollins crollins666 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 15:53:16 PST 2004

On Jan., 19 2004 Marin Krkac <mkrkac at public.srce.hr> wrote:
>clayton rollins wrote:
>
>>Hi Marin,
>>
>>On Jan., 18 2004 Marin Krkac <mkrkac at public.srce.hr> wrote:
>>

>>>I have an internal "hardware" modem. When I bought it they said it was a
>>>hardware modem and it said so on the box too. It has an Intel/Ambient
>>>chipset, or more precisely, as the windows driver says, Intel 536ep. But
>>>I found out just a few days ago that it's not actually a real hardware
>>>modem. It has a DSP but it's controllerless - that part is in software.
>>>It's also called a HAM modem (a Host Accelerated Modem). There is a
>>>linux driver but I think it's only partially open-source. Is there any
>>>chance this modem might work under FreeBSD?
>>
>>You might try running one of the binary linux drivers through linux
>>compatibility. If you need technical assistance in doing this, the
>>-questions list should be able to help you. There is a chapter in the
>>handbook on this:
>>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu.html
>
>I didn't know linux compatibility also applies to drivers.
>
>Thanks for your help.

Hi Marin,

Eeek! I should have been clearer about what I meant...

I have no idea if the compatibilty layer is capable of this; I just
thought it would be something to try.

The little sentence about technical support and -questions was
meant to point you in the right direction if this doesn't work, or
if you needed further advice about using linux compatibility.

Hope you get it working... :)

Regards,
Clayton