Digital USB Camera

Johnson David DavidJohnson at Siemens.com
Mon Jan 19 11:31:11 PST 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 01:52 am, Mazen S. Alzogbi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought the Casio Exilim Z4 Digital Camera
> (http://world.casio.com/exilim/en/ex_z4/) and it only works with
> Win/Mac
>
> :(
>
> As a 1 month old FreeBSD lover I got to ask: is there anyway I can
> hook this camera up with my laptop (which runs 4.9-RELEASE) and make
> them "talk" ?

The specifications page seems to imply that it uses standard USB
protocols (look the mac section, where it says "With OS 9/10.1/10.2,
USB connection is possible with the standard OS USB driver"). To me
this says that it works as a USB mass storage device (umass).

Look at the umass man page for technical stuff (and how to make sure you
have a kernel that supports it). To see if it's being properly
detected, plug it in, then look at the the console (or dmesg) to see
what the kernel says.

There was an article on using digital cameras under FreeBSD, but I can't
seem to find it right now.

If you're still having troubles, you might want to consider FreeBSD-5.2.
I had one umass device (Creative Nuvo MP3 player) that didn't work
under FreeBSD-5.1, but it works fine under FreeBSD-5.2.

David