Implementing IP6 in 8.3

freebsd-net fbsdmail at dnswatch.com
Fri Mar 8 15:07:14 UTC 2013

Maciej Milewski, and thank you for your reply.
> On 07.03.2013 17:55, freebsd-net wrote:
>> Greetings Maciej Milewski, and thank you for your thoughtful reply.
>>> If it doesn't support IPv6 you can always try to use it in Transparent
>>> Bridging (RFC1483) mode.
>>> <http://qwest.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-q1000z-setup-bridge.html>
>>> You can then put other router/computer that does IPv6 routing just after
>>> that modem.
>>> <http://qwest.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-q1000z-setup-bridge.html>
>> Thank you for the links. I was aware of that, but requires that every connection
>> directly to the modem, send the PPPoE creds to the modem. While it's simple enough
>> to connect a router/switch between the modem, and clients, it adds an additional
>> hop. I think I'll be better served building a (free)BSD kernel, and drivers for
>> the modem -- assuming that because the modem doesn't IP6, it's not possible to
>> route IP6 traffic directly, unless through a "tunnel broker".
> If you are sure that you can build kernel for that modem device then try
> it. From my experience it's rather hard. Mainly because today's hw is
> too cheap to have working hw interfaces(like DSL modem) and it's all
> done in software way.
> Shortest and fastest way would be setting this modem as transparent
> bridge. Then put your own router/gateway(which is IPv6 capable). Router
> on WAN side connects through PPPoE to your ISP and LAN/WLAN side
> connects to your switch or you computers directly. It will be additional
> device between you and your ISP but in many cases that's much better
> than having all-in-one(which can't do IPv6). I'd go that way.
>
>> Thanks again, for taking the time to respond.
>>
>> --Chris
>
> I hope that puts more light to what you try to do.
While I agree, inserting a router/switch between the modem & the clients/servers
would be the shortest/easiest solution. In the end, I think the investment in
building a (free)bsd kernel && drivers for the modem would have/provide the
biggest reward(s). Truth be told; I have accumulated quite a mass of this type
of equipment over the years, and I'd like to take a stab at building a
(free)bsd kernel with associated drivers for them. Their all MIPS based, and
many of them have ~32Mb && ~64Mb flash space & RAM. So, resources aren't too
unreasonable. In the end, the benefits of having something /I/ have control over,
makes these devices a great more valuable. It also empowers others whom are
currently subject to the limitations their ISP imposes on them.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

--Chris