Implementing IP6 in 8.3

Maciej Milewski milu at dat.pl
Fri Mar 8 11:56:22 UTC 2013

On 07.03.2013 17:55, freebsd-net wrote:
> Greetings Maciej Milewski, and thank you for your thoughtful reply.
>> On 06.03.2013 22:02, freebsd-net wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>    I'm evaluating an ISP for the sake of building BSD operating systems on hardware
>>> that they use (DSL modems, in this case). When I had my old NEC server, I had a
>>> MIPS environment to develop in. I managed a 28k kernel. In any case, I'm back at
>>> it for use in alot of hardware I have laying around. In my current situation, I'm
>>> using a ZYXEL Q1000Z modem to connect to their service. While it's a relatively
>>> new modem, it doesn't support IP6. It is my hope to replace the OS with one that
>>> does. :)
>> If it doesn't support IPv6 you can always try to use it in Transparent
>> Bridging (RFC1483) mode.
>> <http://qwest.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-q1000z-setup-bridge.html>
>> You can then put other router/computer that does IPv6 routing just after
>> that modem.
>> <http://qwest.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-q1000z-setup-bridge.html>
> Thank you for the links. I was aware of that, but requires that every connection
> directly to the modem, send the PPPoE creds to the modem. While it's simple enough
> to connect a router/switch between the modem, and clients, it adds an additional
> hop. I think I'll be better served building a (free)BSD kernel, and drivers for
> the modem -- assuming that because the modem doesn't IP6, it's not possible to
> route IP6 traffic directly, unless through a "tunnel broker".
If you are sure that you can build kernel for that modem device then try
it. From my experience it's rather hard. Mainly because today's hw is
too cheap to have working hw interfaces(like DSL modem) and it's all
done in software way.
Shortest and fastest way would be setting this modem as transparent
bridge. Then put your own router/gateway(which is IPv6 capable). Router
on WAN side connects through PPPoE to your ISP and LAN/WLAN side
connects to your switch or you computers directly. It will be additional
device between you and your ISP but in many cases that's much better
than having all-in-one(which can't do IPv6). I'd go that way.

> Thanks again, for taking the time to respond.
>
> --Chris

I hope that puts more light to what you try to do.
--
Pozdrawiam,
Maciej Milewski