Implementing IP6 in 8.3

Maciej Milewski milu at dat.pl
Fri Mar 8 15:27:01 UTC 2013

On 08.03.2013 16:06, freebsd-net wrote:
> While I agree, inserting a router/switch between the modem & the clients/servers
> would be the shortest/easiest solution. In the end, I think the investment in
> building a (free)bsd kernel && drivers for the modem would have/provide the
> biggest reward(s). Truth be told; I have accumulated quite a mass of this type
> of equipment over the years, and I'd like to take a stab at building a
> (free)bsd kernel with associated drivers for them. Their all MIPS based, and
> many of them have ~32Mb && ~64Mb flash space & RAM. So, resources aren't too
> unreasonable. In the end, the benefits of having something /I/ have control over,
> makes these devices a great more valuable. It also empowers others whom are
> currently subject to the limitations their ISP imposes on them.
>
> Thank you again for taking the time to respond.
>
> --Chris
That's all correct as long as there are all pieces. F.ex. I've heard of
some low level problems with some of the chipsets. The wifi chipsets are
the most known for this. I think that I've heard about xDSL chipsets
with similar problems. I wish you all the best with making your own
firmware for this hardware.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Maciej Milewski