Intel 4-port ethernet adaptor link aggregation issue

Barney Cordoba barney_cordoba at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 31 15:05:23 UTC 2013

That's way too high. Your base rx requirement is

Ports * queues * rxd

With a quad card you shouldn't be using more than 2 queues, so your requirement
with 5 ports is 10,240 just for the receive setup. If you're using 4 queues that
number doubles, which would make 25,600 not enough.

Note that setting mbufs to a huge number doesn't allocate the buffers; they'll be
allocated as needed. It's a ceiling. The reason for the ceiling is so that you don't
blow up your memory. If your system is using 2 million mbuf clusters then you
have much bigger problems than LAGG.

Anyone who recommends 2 million clearly has no idea what they're doing.

BC