Intel 4-port ethernet adaptor link aggregation issue

Steve Read steve.read at netasq.com
Fri Aug 2 07:36:33 UTC 2013

On 01.08.2013 20:07, Joe Moog wrote:
> We have an iXsystems 1U server (E5) with an Intel 4-port ethernet NIC installed, model I350-T4 (manufactured May of 2013). We're trying to bind the 4 ports on this NIC together into a single lagg port, connected LACP to a distribution switch (Cisco 4900-series). We are able to successfully bind the 2 on-board ethernet ports to a single lagg, however the NIC is not so cooperative. At first we thought we had a bad NIC, but a replacement has not fixed the issue. We are thinking there may be a driver limitation with these Intel ethernet NICs when attempting to bind more than 2 ports to a lagg.
>
> FreeBSD version:
> FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE #0 r244125: Wed Dec 12 11:47:47 CST 2012
>
> rc.conf:
> # LINK AGGREGATION
> ifconfig_igb2="UP"
> ifconfig_igb3="UP"
> ifconfig_igb4="UP"
> ifconfig_igb5="UP"
> cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
> ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto lacp laggport igb2 laggport igb3 laggport igb4 laggport igb5"
> ifconfig_lagg0="inet 192.168.1.14  netmask 255.255.255.0"
Am I the only one who noticed that you replaced the value of
$ifconfig_lagg0 that specifies the proto and the ports with one that
specifies just the address?

Merge the two ifconfig_lagg0 lines into one, and it will work infinitely
better, or at least no worse.

ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto lacp laggport igb2 laggport igb3 laggport igb4 laggport igb5 inet 192.168.1.14  netmask 255.255.255.0"

-- Steve