kern/134658: [bce] bce driver fails on PowerEdge m610 blade.

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Jan 20 13:02:11 UTC 2010

David Christensen wrote (on 2009-08-01):
 > Sorry, this is the 5709S and I haven't had an opportunity to
 > implement this PHY yet.  Unfortunately it's more than just a
 > change to miidevs since the SerDes is actually an IEEE clause
 > 45 compliant device (instead of the more common Clause 22
 > devices found in 1GbE controllers).  The registers are
 > diffrerent so the effort is more substantial.  No estimate
 > yet on when I can get to it.

While trying to debug the same issue I stumbled across this
thread ...  We've got HS22 blades (IBM BladeCenter) which
habe the BCM5709S and suffer from exactly the same problem.

Dave, are there any news regarding the PHY implementation?

If there's decent documentation I might even give it a try
myself, provided that it's not too complex.  (I've done
hardware programming before, but I've never touched a
NIC/PHY driver, except for very trivial fixes.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"File names are infinite in length, where infinity is set to 255 characters."
        -- Peter Collinson, "The Unix File System"