network keep droping

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Wed Jun 4 19:41:08 UTC 2008

On 2008-Jun-05 02:37:14 +0800, Izwan Mohd <zuan at mylinux.net.my> wrote:
>I have being encountering a weird problem on my freebsd 6 , one of my remote
>machine being down frequently lately for no particular reason, when I go to
>the remote site to check then machine it was in good running condition but
>no network, it even can't ping the server on the same subnet, the only way
>to restore it back is by running:
>
>route -n flush && /etc/netstart

First question would be:  What has changed?

Are you able to identify when the problem occurs?  This might let you
associate the problem with an internal cronjob or network activity.

What does ifconfig report?  Does the interface look normal or is it
reporting something strange?

Is the switch reporting any events associated with your port?

What do you see if you tcpdump the interface whilst its not working?
Are you seeing normal subnet broadcast traffic?  Unicast traffic
directed to your box?  Outgoing traffic from your box?

Does physically unplugging and re-connecting the network cable
correct the problem?  Are you able to (temporarily) use a different
swichport or NIC?

Finally, more detail on your configuration might trigger someone's
memory: What version of 6.x?  What NIC/MII?  How much memory?  What
network features (vlan, firewall, dummynet, netgraph, carp, ...) are
you using?

--
Peter Jeremy