network keep droping

Izwan Mohd zuan at mylinux.net.my
Thu Jun 5 04:27:21 UTC 2008

> First question would be:  What has changed?
>
> Are you able to identify when the problem occurs?  This might let you
> associate the problem with an internal cronjob or network activity.

it randomly happen so I can't determine when it happen my cron script just
try to ping and if it not successfull it will flush and restart the network

> What does ifconfig report?  Does the interface look normal or is it
> reporting something strange?

ifconfig does not show any abnormality but maybe I will double check it

Is the switch reporting any events associated with your port?

Nope no  report  from switch indicating something wrong the the port that
the machine are using

> What do you see if you tcpdump the interface whilst its not working?
> Are you seeing normal subnet broadcast traffic?  Unicast traffic
> directed to your box?  Outgoing traffic from your box?

I will check this one this afternoon  because the machine is dead again I'll
post the finding  later on

> Does physically unplugging and re-connecting the network cable
> correct the problem?  Are you able to (temporarily) use a different
> swichport or NIC?

sometime it does sometime it wont, already try changing to other port on the
switch still the same, changing the NIC is not an option for me because it a
rack mount server using on board NIC and no extra slot to add a new network
card on it.

> Finally, more detail on your configuration might trigger someone's
> memory: What version of 6.x?  What NIC/MII?  How much memory?  What
> network features (vlan, firewall, dummynet, netgraph, carp, ...) are
> you using?

The server using FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE the NIC is intel i can't remember the
model but freebsd detect it as "em0" the server memory is 1GB, not special
network fetures it only running snort and nessus

will post more detail after I check the machine this afternoon

Thank You,

Regards,
Zuan

--