Odd wpi behavior

Дмитрий Колосов ivakras1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 12:07:09 PST 2008

Hello!
I have read a discussion about wpi driver in September this year. I have also a
problem with the Intel 3945ABG, but the other kind. Symptoms: 802.11 connection
is established smoothly and without interruption, however, any active tcp
connections, which is fast data transfer, are interrupted in a few seconds.
That is, for example, ssh connection is not interrupted (only sometimes),
because it is not as active as, say, downloading files from ftp or http
servers. This happens even if I did not move with my laptop (HP Pavilion
dv6840er) in the next roomof home (10 meters-1 wall). Stable and fast tcp
connection can be established only at a distance of 1-2 meters from the access
point (dlink dwl g700ap in the bridge mode) and only stationary (then im not
moving around with laptop). If i shift with laptop to 10-20 cm in any
direction, smoothly or rapidly, the transfer of data in established connections
is terminated. It was observed that the delays in icmp (ping) is not affected,
that is, if im moving with laptop at home, the icmp answers is not increasing.
I think this is because no connection in icmp request-reply.
I admit that the reason may be in access point, but...

Some info:
connection to AP is OPEN
wpi is not in the kernell
7.1-PRERELEASE #2: Tue Nov 18 19:34:00 MSK 2008
src/sys/dev/wpi/if_wpi.c,v 1.5.2.4 2008/03/18 18:52:52
# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   24 0xc0400000 41fbf8   kernel
 2    2 0xc0820000 29d38    linux.ko
 3    1 0xc084a000 2204c    snd_hda.ko
 4    2 0xc086d000 5c03c    sound.ko
 5    1 0xc08ca000 5558     acpi_video.ko
 6    2 0xc08d0000 762b8    acpi.ko
 7    1 0xc0947000 15d68    if_wpi.ko
 8    1 0xc095d000 25f50    wpifw.ko
 9    1 0xc0983000 711edc   nvidia.ko
10    4 0xc5b5f000 18000    netgraph.ko
11    1 0xc5ba7000 3000     ng_ether.ko
12    1 0xc5baa000 6000     ng_pppoe.ko
13    1 0xc5bdb000 4000     ng_socket.ko
# ifconfig wpi0
wpi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether 00:1f:3c:3d:8d:f1
        inet 10.178.155.243 netmask 0xfffff000 broadcast 10.178.159.255
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (OFDM/48Mbps)
        status: associated
        ssid onet channel 12 (2467 Mhz 11g) bssid 00:1e:58:2b:d8:c8
        authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpower 50 bmiss 7 scanvalid 60
        protmode CTS roaming MANUAL
# cat /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
network={
ssid="onet"
bssid=00:1e:58:2b:d8:c8
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=NONE
auth_alg=OPEN
}

Please help me out in this situation,i will be grateful for any advice. If
needed for additional information-Im ready to cooperate.
Thanks in advance!
Dmitry Kolosov.