S4 support on FBSD 7 or higher?

knowtree at aloha.com knowtree at aloha.com
Thu Nov 20 15:14:42 PST 2008

> Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:14:39 +0100
> > Oliver Fischer <obf at gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> after some years without FreeBSD I would like to run one of the new
> >> Thinkpad models with FreeBSD. One very important feature for me is
> >> Suspend To Disk aka S4. Does anyone know if S4 is supported in
> >> version 7 or higher?
> >
> > Answer: "it depends". It depends on
> > - specific model of laptop
> > - bios correctness
> > - user willingness to fiddle with setup
> >
> > Search he archives of this mailinglist with suitable keywods (thinkpad
> > + suspend) and you will see that this is not a clear picture.
> >
> > HTH
>
> I believe you meant Suspend to RAM, not Suspend to Disk.

The acpi man page (FreeBSD 7.0) says S3 is supported, but S4 is only
supported in hardware with a BIOS that supports it, which these days is
rare. My experience is that even S3 support is iffy. My Dell laptop is
perfectly happy to suspend, it just never wakes up after that!

As soon as my Fujitsu laptop arrives this will be a top priority. The lack
of reliable S3 makes a laptop next to useless to me.

Gary Dunn
Honolulu
Open Slate Project
    http://openslate.net/
73 BMW E9 (3.0 CS) 2213583 (rust repair research project)
    http://e9erust.blogspot.com/