supported 802.11a pcmcia cards

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Wed Jan 26 08:10:20 PST 2005

Aidan Whyte wrote:
> Hi everyone, I'm back to bug you a bit more unfortunately :)
>
> I've been looking at 802.11a pc-cards for freebsd, but I'm rather confused as to what exactly is
> supported. Under the ath driver, there's a list (
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ath&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+5.3-RELEASE&format=html )
> of supported cards, with a note at the end saying an up to date list can be found here (
> http://customerproducts.atheros.com/customerproducts ). The confusion arises because far more cards
> appear in the atheros list - in fact, it appears like it may be the entire atheros range of wireless
> products.
>
> So, is the list in the ath man page exhaustive for currently supported ath cards, or should I work
> off the atheros.com link when checking to see if cards are supported?

Any Atheros-based PCI/Cardbus card currently in the retail channels will
work with the driver in current (though I just saw an add for a card
with the MIMO/TGh part that I haven't tested).  The support in
5.3-RELEASE is >1 year old and does not handle some of the more recent
parts.  I have no plan to backport code to 5.x because the changes are
massive and would break API's that are frozen for the life of the 5.x
releases.

	Sam