hostap with ath(4): low transmission power?

Martin nakal at nurfuerspam.de
Fri Apr 15 10:47:01 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm running FreeBSD-STABLE with a ath PCI card made
by Netgear (Netgear WG311T). It's listed in the man-pages.
I can successfully run hostap in 11b mode (63% quality).
I'm using this configuration:

ifconfig_ath0="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid FreeBSD_AP
channel 6 mode 11b media DS/11Mbps mediaopt hostap powersavesleep 1
wepmode on wepkey xxxx"

When I switch to 11g at any rate, I can only see incoming pings
(Xfce4 panel plugin shows activity), but there is no response
to the mobile device. I've tried other channels, of course.
I've also tried to place my notebook directly next to the WG311T
antenna. No signs of improvement. There are no other wireless networks
here except mine near me. Btw, I can see some "xmit" messages appearing
on the console.

I'm planning to buy a better antenna, because the one I have is
perhaps too close to the ATX metal case. But I'm not really sure, if
it will solve my problem.

The mobile device is using a PCMCIA Netgear WG511T.

My questions:
- Can I do something to enable 11g with my configuration
  (11g works well with normal access points)?
- I've read the sources a bit. How do I enable the turbo-modes
  (just to try them with a access point)?
- Can a metal case disturb the transmission power so badly
  (even when the distance is minimal) or is it a problem
  with the ath(4) driver?
- Does it make sense to install -CURRENT with my problem?

a piece of motd:
ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xdffd0000-0xdffdffff irq
 18 at device 10.0 on pci0
ath0: mac 5.9 phy 4.3 5ghz radio 4.6
ath0: Ethernet address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
ath0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
ath0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps
9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps

Thanks in advance,
Martin