fxp and Thinkpad

Zhang Weiwu weiwuzhang at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 10 23:48:55 PST 2003

stefan wrote:

> Any idea how to fix the following problem:
>
> FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE running under Thinkpad T23 with
> latest BIOS version.
> My NIC does not wrok due timeout:

> fxp0: device timeout
> fxp0: device timeout

> The dmesg about the device is:

> fxp0: <Intel 82801CAM (ICH3) Pro/100 VE Ethernet> port
> 0x6400-0x643f mem
>  0xc0200000-0xc0200fff irq11 at device 8.0 on pci2

> Any idea what can I do about this ?
> The laptop works fine with Solaris x86, RH and SUSE.

I have exactly the same problem on my Thinkpad R30, with FreeBSD 4.7, 4.8,
4.9, 5.0, 5.1)

The strange thing is that at first everything works fine with 4.7 several
months ago. One day I decide to move to NetBSD because of the agp
compatibility problem in all FreeBSD version since 4.8 (I think the agp
problem is a registered bug, someone told me that in some mailing list, I
don't remember.) After using NetBSD for about a month, the notebook crashed
when I compile php4, and since then fxp begins to always report that error
message and never work anymore. I installed a dozen versions of FreeBSD,
none of them makes fxp work, while Windows 98 works with that NIC okay.