Hard drive for Dell Inspiron 5000e - place to buy

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 11 09:26:20 PST 2003

On 11-Nov-2003 Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> richard childers / kg6hac wrote:
>>

> <humbly_snipped>
>
>> That having been said, you may also want to consider replacing your
>> current hard drive with something larger; many laptops issued with 10 GB
>> hard drives - the limit, at their time of manufacture - can easily
>> contain 20, 30 or 40 GB hard drives, now that drive manufacturers can
>> pack two, three or four times as much data into the predetermined form
>> factor.
>
> </humbly_snipped>
>
> Seeing the age of the laptop/computer "Dell Inspiron 5000e" make sure
> your BIOS has the capacity to "SEE" the full size of the larger drives.
> I have a fairly new Toshiba-1715xcds and it would not see a 30-gig drive
> but saw a 20-gig drive fine.

I have an Inspiron 5000e which originally came with a 5 GB drive.  It
uses regular old ATA 2.5" drives for the primary drive though only at
UDMA33 due to having a PIIX4 chipset.  I've used an 18 GB drive and
currently have a 40 GB drive in it.