Script to automatically configure a wireless card based on ssid

Doug Barton DougB at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 25 13:44:58 PDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <XFMail.20030424110538.jhb at FreeBSD.org>
>             John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> writes:
> : >         status: associated
> : >         ssid WLAN 1:WLAN
> : >         stationname "FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node"
> : >         channel 11 authmode OPEN powersavemode CAM powersavesleep 100
> : >         wepmode OFF weptxkey 1
> :
> : Well, it claims to be associated, which is odd.  I don't actually check
> : the ssid except for matching up wepkeys.  Instead, I check the status
> : which is 'associated' in this case.

John, you're correct of course, sorry. I should have double-checked the
code again before I posted. I had "associated + ssid" merged in my brain,
which your code does a better job of distinguishing.

> : If there really isn't an AP, then that's
> : a bug that should be addressed.
>
> We don't use WLAN internally for anything.  So there MUST be a WLAN
> around that you don't know about...

Yeah, I actually grep'ed our code for 'WLAN,' and of course didn't find
anything. According to netstumbler mine is the only AP in action within
radio range. I'm not disagreeing with you, just stating the source of my
contention. :)  Is it possible that this is something specific to the
netgear card? How would I go about confirming that this is a real AP or
not? The other thing that I should try of course is to take the laptop
elsewhere, which I will at my earliest convenience.

Doug