Script to automatically configure a wireless card based on ssid

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Apr 26 10:02:48 PDT 2003

In message: <20030425133754.C35038 at 12-234-22-23.pyvrag.nggov.pbz>
            Doug Barton <DougB at freebsd.org> writes:
: On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:
:
: > In message: <XFMail.20030424110538.jhb at FreeBSD.org>
: >             John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> writes:
: > : >         status: associated
: > : >         ssid WLAN 1:WLAN
: > : >         stationname "FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node"
: > : >         channel 11 authmode OPEN powersavemode CAM powersavesleep 100
: > : >         wepmode OFF weptxkey 1
: > :
: > : Well, it claims to be associated, which is odd.  I don't actually check
: > : the ssid except for matching up wepkeys.  Instead, I check the status
: > : which is 'associated' in this case.
:
: John, you're correct of course, sorry. I should have double-checked the
: code again before I posted. I had "associated + ssid" merged in my brain,
: which your code does a better job of distinguishing.
:
: > : If there really isn't an AP, then that's
: > : a bug that should be addressed.
: >
: > We don't use WLAN internally for anything.  So there MUST be a WLAN
: > around that you don't know about...
:
: Yeah, I actually grep'ed our code for 'WLAN,' and of course didn't find
: anything. According to netstumbler mine is the only AP in action within
: radio range. I'm not disagreeing with you, just stating the source of my
: contention. :)  Is it possible that this is something specific to the
: netgear card? How would I go about confirming that this is a real AP or
: not? The other thing that I should try of course is to take the laptop
: elsewhere, which I will at my earliest convenience.

What does wicontrol -l tell you?  Are you doing something like
ifconfig wi0 ssid WLAN did you?  Also, once associated, the card won't
report other cards...

Warner