A note about status.

Ralf Baechle ralf at linux-mips.org
Tue Nov 11 13:04:14 PST 2003

Juli,

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 02:24:33PM -0600, Juli Mallett wrote:

> I'm doing all this on my R4400 Indigo2's.  I've seen some weird stuff
> with my Indy, but that may have been related to a dumb mistake in the
> TLB refill code I fixed last night.

The R4600 only has a 5 stage pipeline unlike the R4400's 8 stages which
means most hazards are shorter or do not exist on the R4600 - but not
all of them.

Some pre-historic, somewhat over-agressive version of the Linux TLB refill
handlers got shot down by the tiny differences between the R4000 v2.2
and v3.0 differences, since then I'm behaving like a burned child ;-)

>  Either than, or the R4600 is just
> unsuitable for running with the KX bit set (extended kernel mode - 64
> bit address space).  I have other hardware on the way, and intend to
> get an O2 to play with, too.  I'd like to keep things inclusive from
> an early stage, and not make any assumptions that might bite me badly.
> The other hardware on the way isn't something SGI :)

I can assure you the R4600 is running with KX just fine.

> Anyone interested in helping out is welcome to, I'm even willing to put
> in time to make my Perforce tree available to the outside (non-FreeBSD)
> world, if there's enough interest, or help out in other ways.  Questions
> welcome :)

For curiosity sake I'd be interested.

  Ralf