A note about status.

Juli Mallett jmallett at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 11 15:28:25 PST 2003

* Ralf Baechle <ralf at linux-mips.org> [ Date: 2003-11-11 ]
	[ w.r.t. Re: A note about status. ]
> Juli,
>
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 02:24:33PM -0600, Juli Mallett wrote:
>
> > I'm doing all this on my R4400 Indigo2's.  I've seen some weird stuff
> > with my Indy, but that may have been related to a dumb mistake in the
> > TLB refill code I fixed last night.
>
> The R4600 only has a 5 stage pipeline unlike the R4400's 8 stages which
> means most hazards are shorter or do not exist on the R4600 - but not
> all of them.
>
> Some pre-historic, somewhat over-agressive version of the Linux TLB refill
> handlers got shot down by the tiny differences between the R4000 v2.2
> and v3.0 differences, since then I'm behaving like a burned child ;-)

Hmmm, fun.  I don't know my history as well as I should, I'm going to
make a lot of mistakes I shouldn't, I'm sure.  In any case, still a few
hours of work before I can get along home and see if the TLB refill fix
was enough to fix it.  I was seeing something odd with badvaddr being
a garbage value (0x10, or so), but that could be an artifact of my
XTLB refill being broken, in interesting ways :)

> >  Either than, or the R4600 is just
> > unsuitable for running with the KX bit set (extended kernel mode - 64
> > bit address space).  I have other hardware on the way, and intend to
> > get an O2 to play with, too.  I'd like to keep things inclusive from
> > an early stage, and not make any assumptions that might bite me badly.
> > The other hardware on the way isn't something SGI :)
>
> I can assure you the R4600 is running with KX just fine.

OK, good to know.

> > Anyone interested in helping out is welcome to, I'm even willing to put
> > in time to make my Perforce tree available to the outside (non-FreeBSD)
> > world, if there's enough interest, or help out in other ways.  Questions
> > welcome :)
>
> For curiosity sake I'd be interested.

Alright, let me see what kind of time I can put into it :)
--
juli mallett. email: jmallett at freebsd.org; efnet: juli; aim: bsdflata;
the finer things keep shining through the way my soul gets lost in you