Avoiding source code on production servers

Tonix (Antonio Nati) tonix at interazioni.it
Wed May 27 15:12:28 UTC 2009

Tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:
>> I'm in the phase of planning my new generation of FreeBSD servers,
>> and I would love to make them more easy to upgrade.
>> Main problem I have currently is I do not want any source code on
>> production server, so freebsd-update is welcome, but... what about
>> packages?
>> I would use packages, but they are not easy to upgrade, while ports
>> can be easy to upgrade, but need to have sources an servers.
Thanks to all which answered, both publicy and privately.
It looks to be a topic in which FreeBSD could be improved a lot.

Is there any way we can drive/suggest something to do?
Could be used Google Summer's code or something similar 8also sponsored
by us)?

Thanks,
Tonino

        Inter at zioni            Interazioni di Antonio Nati
   http://www.interazioni.it      tonix at interazioni.it