Avoiding source code on production servers

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 27 16:39:27 UTC 2009

Tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:
> Tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:
>>> I'm in the phase of planning my new generation of FreeBSD servers,
>>> and I would love to make them more easy to upgrade.
>>> Main problem I have currently is I do not want any source code on
>>> production server, so freebsd-update is welcome, but... what about
>>> packages?
>>> I would use packages, but they are not easy to upgrade, while ports
>>> can be easy to upgrade, but need to have sources an servers.
> Thanks to all which answered, both publicy and privately.
> It looks to be a topic in which FreeBSD could be improved a lot.
>
> Is there any way we can drive/suggest something to do?
> Could be used Google Summer's code or something similar 8also sponsored
> by us)?

I've submitted a proposal to the Foundation twice to extend portmaster
with similar functionality, but I haven't made the cut yet. I am still
interested in obtaining funding for this project, and this looks like
as good an opportunity as any to put that idea in front of new
eyeballs. Please take a look at the URL below, and anyone who has
ideas on how I might go about obtaining funding for this project feel
please let me know.

Regards,

Doug

http://dougbarton.us/portmaster-proposal.html