Avoiding source code on production servers

martes martes at mgwigglesworth.com
Sat May 23 21:31:17 UTC 2009

Greetings All.

I have just begun to have time to fully investigate this type of topic.

Have you not seen it worth the time to apply a patch in a custom package, or
creation of such packages in general to resolve these type of issues?

I may be off the target however, I just wanted to know what type of milage
anyone may have gotten from using a test system for kernel builds ,etc as has
been suggested, and is most likely the case for many, including me, however
to use the builds to generate your own customized pkgs to install on incident
systems to facilitate patches, etc....

How does that solution sound?  I have not had a chance to test this however,
I thought I saw such a solution on a very old archive when researching
automation of kernel builds/installs, and automating system installation
using packages.

Any thouhgts?