Network Monitoring

Borge Brunes Borge.Brunes at cc.uit.no
Wed Jan 4 10:39:01 PST 2006

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Jon Otterholm wrote:

> What monitor system should I choose to monitor servers, routers and switches?
> It must be able to send alarms via SMS - i have a sms-modem/phone connected
> to com-port (Nokia 30).

Have a look at NAV http://metanav.ntnu.no/moin.cgi
"Network Administration Visualized is an advanced software suite to
  monitor large computer networks. It automatically discovers network
  topology, monitors network load and outages, and can send alerts on
  network events by e-mail and SMS, allowing for flexible configuration of
  alert profiles."

L2-traceroute is available in the development/svn-version

All norwegian universities and most colleges are using it. NTNU
is monitoring <1000 devices, we (univ. of Tromso) about 400.

We have also made some more modules to NAV that will we available
int he next release (freeradius accounting from VPN, 802.1x wired
and wireless, cabel documentation).
An integration with Stager (http://software.uninett.no/stager/)
is also "around the corner".

The NAV is in the port system, but it's not up to date.
Dru Lagvine has build a new port during this christmas holliday,
and I guess it will be public available this week.
You could also get the latest release using svn.

Today one of the maintainers announced this on the NAV users-list:
"As I mentioned in a previous posting NTNU and UNINETT are currently
  planning the 2006 NAV activity. We are more ambitious this year and are
  prepared to put a lot of resources into maintaining and further
  developing NAV.
  We are currently working on a list of new features to implement.
  I could present the list, but at this stage I will rather ask the
  NAV community... what do you want?"

You are all welcome to join the NAV community!

regards,

--
Borge Brunes, Computer Center, University of Tromso, Norway
http://www.cc.uit.no/~borge/ | http://www.freebsd.org