Network Monitoring

Ludo Koren lk at tempest.sk
Thu Jan 5 09:03:35 PST 2006

     > On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Jon Otterholm wrote:
    >> What monitor system should I choose to monitor servers, routers
    >> and switches? It must be able to send alarms via SMS - i have a
    >> sms-modem/phone connected to com-port (Nokia 30).

     > Have a look at NAV http://metanav.ntnu.no/moin.cgi "Network
     > Administration Visualized is an advanced software suite to
     > monitor large computer networks. It automatically discovers
     > network topology, monitors network load and outages, and can
     > send alerts on network events by e-mail and SMS, allowing for
     > flexible configuration of alert profiles."

     > L2-traceroute is available in the development/svn-version

     > All norwegian universities and most colleges are using it. NTNU
     > is monitoring <1000 devices, we (univ. of Tromso) about 400.

     > We have also made some more modules to NAV that will we
     > available int he next release (freeradius accounting from VPN,
     > 802.1x wired and wireless, cabel documentation).  An
     > integration with Stager (http://software.uninett.no/stager/) is
     > also "around the corner".

     > The NAV is in the port system, but it's not up to date.  Dru
     > Lagvine has build a new port during this christmas holliday,
     > and I guess it will be public available this week.  You could
     > also get the latest release using svn.

     > Today one of the maintainers announced this on the NAV
     > users-list: "As I mentioned in a previous posting NTNU and
     > UNINETT are currently planning the 2006 NAV activity. We are
     > more ambitious this year and are prepared to put a lot of
     > resources into maintaining and further developing NAV.  We are
     > currently working on a list of new features to implement.  I
     > could present the list, but at this stage I will rather ask the
     > NAV community... what do you want?"

     > You are all welcome to join the NAV community!

Hi,

I tried to install it and experiment a little bit with it. I have
problems running web interface. After adding

options         P1003_1B_SEMAPHORES

to my kernel and recompiling apache with threads, I've got the
following error:

Mod_python error: "PythonHandler mod_python.publisher"

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line 299, in HandlerDispatch
    result = object(req)

  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mod_python/publisher.py", line 98, in handler
    path=[path])

  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line 457, in import_module
    module = imp.load_module(mname, f, p, d)

  File "/usr/local/www/data/nav/webroot/index.py", line 32, in ?
    from nav.web import ldapAuth

  File "/usr/local/nav/lib/python/nav/web/ldapAuth.py", line 34, in ?
    import ldap

  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ldap/__init__.py", line 39, in ?
    import threading

  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/threading.py", line 691, in ?
    _MainThread()

  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/threading.py", line 614, in __init__
    Thread.__init__(self, name="MainThread")

  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/threading.py", line 387, in __init__
    self.__block = Condition(Lock())

error: can't allocate lock

Could you point to me what I am missing? Thank you very much.

Regards,

lk