Hardware RAID 1 management tools

Andrew I Baznikin andrey.baznikin at krasinform.ru
Fri Aug 25 09:27:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:39:13 +0200
Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster at clickstore.se> wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 15:27 +0800, Andrew I Baznikin wrote:
> >
> > Smarttools can monitor SMART attributes on harddisks, do offline testing and so on.
>
> Thanks Andrew!
>
> I installed smartmontools, ran the smartctl with -s on and -T permissive
> and got an error message: "unable to fetch IEC (SMART) mode page
> [Operation not permitted]"
>
> You know you are in deep water when Google has no information:
>
> http://www.google.se/search?hs=f5B&hl=en&client=firefox&rls=org.mozilla%
> 3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&q=%22unable+to+fetch+IEC+%28SMART%29+mode+page+%
> 5BOperation+not+permitted%5D%22&btnG=Search
>
> Time to talk to the developers of Smartmontools I guess.
>
> Jeremiah

I suppose you can't fetch SMART attributes from RAID itself. If you can
access any single drive in RAID (for example, if you use GEOM RAID) you can run it.

I read first message in thread and find out what you are using COMPAQ RAID. If you can't access any single drive, then smarttools can't help you. Try to find management tool for your RAID, even maybe linux one...

--
Andrew I Baznikin

#      /\    ASCII ribbon
#      \/      campaign