Viable FreeBSD Network Access Server projects...?

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Sun Jan 9 09:44:41 PST 2005

Actually, if I were building the giant dial-up server nowdays, I'd
seriously consider two things.

1st, if I was stuck with a hardware design, USB seems to be the way to
go.  USB1.1 is 12 megabit ... which would easily support over 100
modems.  Depends on buffering and efficiency, I suppose.

But really, if you were looking at more than about 20 modems, it might
be cheaper to licence some one's winmodem implementation and hire a
developer to make the winmodem go against either a PRI or a VOIP
connection.  Modern processors should be able to handle 20 to 50
modems if well programmed.

Dave.