Viable FreeBSD Network Access Server projects...?

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Sun Jan 9 12:29:15 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 12:44 , David Gilbert showing utter disregard
for spell-checkers gave us this:

> Actually, if I were building the giant dial-up server nowdays, I'd
> seriously consider two things.

> 1st, if I was stuck with a hardware design, USB seems to be the way to
> go.  USB1.1 is 12 megabit ... which would easily support over 100
> modems.  Depends on buffering and efficiency, I suppose.

> But really, if you were looking at more than about 20 modems, it might
> be cheaper to licence some one's winmodem implementation and hire a
> developer to make the winmodem go against either a PRI or a VOIP
> connection.  Modern processors should be able to handle 20 to 50
> modems if well programmed.

If it was to be 'giant' dial up, it might be cheaper to use one
of the providers that do this for a liiving which converts to IP
and then routes to you.   That means you only pay for what you need
but if your needs expand you just contract for more use.  The
downside is the ongoing monthly bills, but upside is no hardward to
maintain yourself.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com