LoadBalancer With FreeBSD

Oliver Brandmueller ob at e-Gitt.NET
Wed Dec 29 05:15:30 PST 2004

Hi.

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 09:04:36PM +0800, Kahlil Erwin S. Talledo wrote:
> You can always whip up a scipt that would check if a certain service
> is up and running on your remote server... in the case of http you can
> throw an http request at it....

That's fine as long as you have one loadbalanced service. That script
has then to communicate it's findings to the loadbalancing stuff, so
that this service goes out of service. In case of CARP: do you want to
throw a complete server (with say DNS, IMAP, POP, SMTP and HTTP) out of
the group, when one service fails?

OK, for that you need a second, service-based balancer. You got to
communicate with two services then.

Sure, you can do all that. But at a certain point spending 1500$ for a
solution that can be setup quickly and also applies to your OS of the
choice next year might be less expensive.

The original poster asked also for hardware solutions, I mentioned one I
have good experiences with. I do not have enough information from him to
really decide, what's the best solution for him. I just wanted to say,
that even a good hardware LB is maybe not so much mure expensive than a
new Gigabit switch.

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |